The Barkley-Myers House

Two-story, Colonial Revival, brick, low hip roof, 6/6 sash, single-leaf entry with leaded glass sidelights and fanlight, two-story full-width front porch with full entablature supported by Corinthian columns and pilasters, single-leaf door with leaded-glass sidelights and transom at second floor balcony, dentil and modillion cornice, end chimneys, eyebrow dormer vents, flat-roofed one-story sun porch on west elevation, enclosed porch on east elevation, two-story rear wing.

Frederick D. Barkley was the Manager of Frederick D. Barkley & Company in 1911 and president of the Gray-Barkley Company, cotton brokers, in 1924. He married Ethel Gray, whose family owned the block. Hugh White designed the house, which was purchased by Albert G. Myers, president of Citizens National Bank and People’s Bonded Warehouse and Storage Company, and vice-president of Gastonia Realty and Insurance Company and Hanover Thread Company, in 1927.